Tuesday, February 07, 2006

"Remember that Show: The Wonder Years"

So as mass chaos continues in the city today for the Victory Parade for the Superbowl Champion Pittsburgh Steelers, I got to meet a lot of them last night at a victory party, they’re still on cloud nine and they should be.

It’s Tuesday once again, and I bring you this weeks “Remember that Show” blog.

Is the theme song ready?

Yeah?

Ok here we go:
What would you do if I sang out tune? / Would you stand up and walk out on me?/ Lend me your ears and I'll sing you a song/ I will try not to sing out of key, yeah /Oh, baby I get by with a little help from my friends/ By with a little help from my friends./ All I need is my buddies/ By with a little help from my friends/ By with a little help from my friends/ Whoa oh oh oh oh/ Said I don't know if that's what I'm sure do to, baby/ By with a little help from my friend/ Said I'm gonna make it with my friends/ By with a little help from my friends/ Whoa oh I'm gonna keep on trying/ By with a little help from my friends
No just sing that in your head with Joe Cocker’s voice and you know today’s is Tuesday and it’s time to “Remember that Show: The Wonder Years.”
This show ran on ABC from 1988-1993. As you remember the show was about Kevin Arnold (Fred Savage) and growing up in the 1960’s. We always heard the voice of the grown up Kevin as he provided the narration throughout the show. The voice was of Daniel Stern.
Kevin lives with his brother Wayne (Jason Hervey), his sister Karen (Olivia d'Abo), his father Jack (Dan Lauria), and his mother Norma (Alley Mills). Kevin grows up with his on and off girlfriend, Winnie Cooper (Danica McKellar), and his best friend, Paul Pfeiffer (Josh Saviano).

This was a very popular show for ABC because it was about family and growing up, even though it took place in the 60s it was very relatable with the problems that were presented and provided a look at a family through this turbulent times.

Kevin, as the theme song suggest, always had the help of his friends, on in particular Paul Pfeiffer, the nerdy best friend who many people said grew up and in real life is Marilyn Manson, not true though. There many misadventures were funny and yet sometimes really sad. And then there was Winnie, who kissed Kevin in the very first episode and they had an on again off again relationship through out the show.

Kevin always had fight with his brother Wayne which brought comic relief to parts of the show, but toward the end he faced some tuff times with friends being in the war.
“The Wonder Years” was a smart show, and other show seemed to try to duplicate it. NBC’s “American Dreams” comes to mind but nothing will ever be as good as the original. How come no one shows re-runs of this show anymore?

I shall end with the last monologue from the last episode:

Growing up happens in a heartbeat. One day you're in diapers, the next day you're gone. But the memories of childhood stay with you for the long haul. I remember a place, a town, a house like a lot of other houses, a yard like a lot of other yards, on a street like a lot of other streets. And the thing is, after all these years, I still look back, with wonder.

Ok, that’s it for today.

Until next week,

Later Days!




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Promote your blog for free.